Friday, October 24, 2014

Pictures: October 23, 2014 Partial Solar Eclipse






2 eclipses that I could actually watch in 1 month? Wow, that hardly ever happens in Northeast Ohio. Well, I got lucky. A mere 2 weeks after a total lunar eclipse, I got lucky enough to see a partial solar eclipse just by stepping outside my house and looking West. In fact, this is the first solar eclipse I have witnessed since the 1994 annular eclipse when I would have been in early grade school.


Yes, while hardly a total variety (List: All Solar Eclipses for the United States Until 2100), it was nonetheless an interesting sight, featuring about a 20% obscurement of the Sun. In practical terms, there was no noticeable dimming of the Sun whatsoever (some passers-by looked at me pretty funny as I was shooting the eclipse with a solar filter held over my D700/200 f4 AI Micro Nikkor combo).

Anyway, enjoy the pictures. For the record, the next visible solar eclipse for us in the States will be on August 21, 2017, during which a total eclipse will be visible in a narrow patch stretching from Oregon to Georgia.

Hint: put in your vacation requests now!


Humble Requests:

If you found this informative (or at least entertaining), help me pay my bills and check out my Examiner pages for space news, cleveland photography, national photography, and astronomy for more great stuff.

If you think this was cool, why not tell a friend?

For something even better, follow this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment